The practice of Natural Hair Styling means providing for a fee (or any consideration or exchange, whether direct or indirect), any of the following services to the hair of a human being: shampooing, arranging, dressing, twisting, wrapping, weaving, extending, locking or braiding the hair or beard by either hand or mechanical appliances. Such practice shall not include cutting, shaving, or trimming hair except that such activities are permissible to the extent that such activities are incidental to the practice of Natural Hair Styling. Such practice shall not include the application of dyes, reactive chemicals, or other preparations to alter the color or to straighten, curl, or alter the structure of the hair. Techniques which result in tension on hair roots such as certain types of braiding, weaving, wrapping, locking and extending of the hair may only be performed by a Natural Hair Styling or cosmetology licensee who has successfully completed an approved course of study in such techniques.
Natural Hair Styling – 300 Hours
MORNING: 25 hours weekly for 12 weeks
MIDDAY: 17 Hours of 17 weeks, plus 11 hours of 1 week.
EVENING: 23 hours weekly of 13 weeks, plus1 hour of 1 day
The expectation for students include being able to:
– Gain knowledge of the history as it applies to natural hairstyling.
– Develop interpersonal skills and professional ethics that may lead to successful employment.
– Develop hair styling abilities and foster creativity in hairstyles.
– Adhere to the sanitary and sterilization regulations and they apply to the natural hairstylist trade.
– Display initiative and pursue tasks diligently.
– Qualify and prepare students for the State Board examintion.
The educational requirements for natural hair styling shall include the following subjects and the hours assigned to each:
|Safety and Health||20|
|Anatoym and physiology||5|
|Hair and scalp disorders and diseases||10|
|Chemistry as applied to natural hair styling||5|
|Shampoos, rinses, conditioners and treatments||20|
|Hair braiding, locking, weaving and styling||220|