The practice of Cosmetology includes providing the services of natural hair styling, esthetics, nail specialty and waxing and also includes providing services to the hair, head, face, neck or scalp of a human being, including but not limited to shaving, trimming, and cutting the hair or beard either by hand or mechanical appliances and the application of antiseptics, powders, oils, clays, lotions or applying tonics to the hair, head, or scalp, and in addition includes providing, for a fee or any consideration or exchange, whether direct or indirect, services for the application of dyes, reactive chemicals, or other preparations to alter the color or to straighten, curl, or alter the structure of the hair of a human being.
Cosmetology – 1000 Hours
MORNING: 25 hours weekly for 40 weeks
MID-DAY: 17 Hours weekly for 59 weeks
EVENING: 42 weeks, 24 hours of 41 weeks plus 16 hours of 1 week.
Cosmetology, expectations for students include being able to:
– Gain knowledge of histology as it applies to cosmetology.
– Apply theory and practical learning experiences.
– Develop career awareness and identify possible career options
– Develop interests and abilities in the cosmetology trade
– Develop self-image so students present themselves with confidence.
– Develop skills in the manipulation of equipment and materials necessary for giving a shampoo, manicure, hairstyle, and facial.
– Develop hair styling abilities and foster creativity in hairstyles.
– Adhere to the sanitary and sterilization regulations as they apply to the cosmetology trade.
– Qualify and prepare students for the State Board Examination.
The educational requirements for cosmetologists shall include the following subjects and the hours assigned to each:
|Safety and health||26|
|Anatomy and physiology||15|
|Hair and scalp disorders and diseases||10|
|Chemistry as applied to cosmetology||5|
|Shampoos, rinses, conditioners and treatements||30|
|Hair cutting and shaping||175|
|Hair coloring and lightening||180|
|Nail car and procedures||40|
|Skin care and procedures||60|